Monday 2 November 2015

Jane Austen Week - The Tag

Okay, so I'm not THE biggest fan of Jane Austen, but I thought that it would be fun to join Naomi in her Jane Austen Week! You can too, just click on the link! :)


The Questions:
(Most of them are JA related, of course, but I've added some random ones, for the party-spirit.)

1. On a scale of 1 to 10, how much of a Jane Austen fan do you consider yourself?
Wow, didn't I just say something about this in my intro? :P I'd say I'm somewhere around 5-ish. (I know, I know Indeed, Naomi, it's horrible, but it's the truth!) 

2. If "they" would make a new Jane Austen Movie, and you would be able to be cast in it, which Jane Austen character would you most like to play?
Oh, definitely Elizabeth Bennet! She's my favourite character and it's funny how much I relate to her! :) 

3. Is there any felicity in the world superior to a walk?
Yes, of course! Then again, I'm not the walk-ish kind of person, though I suppose it depends on how you're doing it. For example, I wouldn't mind a nice stroll through the woods or on a foresty path in the autumn, but if it's like the 5k walk I took with friends (and a sister) that preferred to half-run half walk in sweltering heat on a summer day, then I'd rather not walk :) 

4. Who's your favourite Jane Austen 'villain'? (As in 'villain' meaning 'the bad guy.')
Hmmmm...good question Naomi! I think I'd say George Wickham. Now not too certain whether you mean who do I like the best as a villain or who do I "dislike" (mildly speaking) the most. But I guess either way, it would be George Wickham. Quite a nasty man, really! 

5. What/Who introduced you to Jane Austen?
My mom. She read Sense and Sensibility to my sister and I a couple of years ago, then we watched the movie. (To be perfectly honest, we prefer the movies to the books. . .)

6. Did you love/enjoy Jane Austen immediately, or has there been a time when you hated (um, prejudged) it?
No, I did not enjoy Jane Austen right away. I found the books very dull and grey at first and  almost impossible to understand. But gradually, I got used to her, and now it's quite enjoyable reading now. I find that the more times I re-read it, the easier it gets. . . and the more fun too! 

7. Who, in your opinion, is the funniest Jane Austen character?
Oh, Lydia Bennet, hands down. My goodness, you should have seen my mom and sister after we first watched the movie! They were mimicking Lydia in just about everything. :P

8. Do you quote Jane Austen randomly in public?
No, hardly ever, unfortunately! 

9. Are children allowed to eat cake on weddings?
Of course! To start with, how on earth do you plan to eat cake with little children looking at you while you eat it? How, may I ask? 

10. What is your reaction when you hear that an aquaintance (e.g. A lady at Church) of yours loves Jane Austen?

I'd probably be super surprised. So far, everyone I've met doesn't like Jane Austen. 

11. Who writes better letters, Mr Darcy or Captain Wentworth? (If you forgot what the letters were, shame on you, instead tell me if you prefer Strawberries to Chocolate or not.)
Well, I haven't read or heard of Captain Wentworth's letter, but even if I had, I think I would say Mr. Darcy. He writes dee-light-ful letters. Makes me wish that someone would write a letter in that style to me! ;) 

12. Which Jane Austen heroine do you relate the least to?
Mmm...probably Charlotte Lucas. There is nothing in common between her and me. Nothing at all
13. What's your favourite Jane Austen house (from one of the movies)?
The Bennet's!! I looooovvve their little cottage, it's such a darling little thing! :) 
 When we went to Michigan, we found this little English cottage there. . .it reminded me so much of their house :)

14. What's your favourite Jane Austen dress (from one of the movies)?

Very blurry, I apologize! But I find Georgiana's  egg -blue and white outfit so charming! It's very simple, but I love it just the same! :) It's not just a dress, I don't believe, but it would still count, wouldn't it? 

15. Can you turn off lit candles with your fingers?
I've never tried it, but I suppose I could . . . 
I prefer to just blow them like Little House on the Prairie ;) 

9 comments:

  1. Eeek, thanks for doing this! :-)

    That's okay, you don't have to be a HUGE fan - you're very welcome all the same. Hahahaha, "Indeed." Love it! :-)
    I meant which villain to you like the best. As a person. (Like, which one do you tolerate. Heehee.)
    I looove Lydia. Well, I don't LOVE her, you know, because she's flirty and annoying - but she's SO funny, and yes, so much fun to mimick!!!
    YES LONGBOURN. I WANT TO LIVE THERE. :-)
    Aww, dear Georgiana. She looks gorgeous in everything.

    ~ Naomi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank YOU for putting together such a fun tag, Naomi!! :)

      Oh, okay, well, it would still be Wickham as my favourite villain. Or possibly Willoughby. ;)
      Yes, Georgiana's wardrobe is soooo pretty! It also helps that her necklines are higher than others :P

      Delete
  2. I think it's very cool that although you're not a Huge Jane Austen Fan who goes into Raptures at the very mention of the name Darcy, you still had fun participating in this tag :-) Good for you! (And I like the 1996 Emma movie with Gwyneth Paltrow way better than the book, so you're not alone there.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Hamlette! Actually, I've never watched Emma before, although I was looking through Netflix to see if it had it by any chance. It didn't And neither does our library. :( So I'll just watch out for it someplace! :) How did you find the movie though? Was it pretty accurate to the book?

      Delete
    2. Well, overall I think it's quite accurate to the book, except that Emma is much kinder and less selfish. She's still bossy and stubborn, but only rarely thoughtless, and over she just feels nicer. Which is why I like it better :-) I hope you can find it! It's only $5 at Amazon right now...

      Delete
  3. You absolutely must read Captain Wentworth's letter! It would probably help if you read all of Persuasion to be able to put the letter in context. :) That's funny that you picked Charlotte Lucas as the heroine you are least like. :) She is very...well, practical. But not very sentimental.
    Kerry

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All right, I will try to read Captain Wentworth's letter! :D That is, if I can find Persuasion amidst all the other hundreds of books we have in this house :P

      Thanks for commenting! ;)

      Delete
  4. I had fun reading your answers! And I agree, Georgiana's dress is pretty. I love the colored jackets they wore during that era.
    I did this tag too a few days ago. You can read my answers here if you want:
    http://www.createdbythecreated.blogspot.com/2015/11/jane-austin-weektag.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lydia! I'm going to go check out your tag right now :)

      Delete

Hi! Thanks for stopping by! :)
I LOVE comments, so please do leave one! I will try and reply as soon as possible :D If you comment under Anonymous, please leave a name (it can be made up or real, your choice ;)
Oh, and as you all probably know, my family and I are under pseudonyms (you didn’t really think I had a brother named Spiderman or Ironman, did ya? We’re weird, but not 'that' weird! :P) If you do know our real names, please don’t say it in the comment box. Public safety stuff ;) Thanks!

Finally, brothers (and sisters!), whatever is true, whatever is honourable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is commendable, if there is any excellence, if there is anything worthy of praise, think about these things
~ Philippians 4: 8